Truly South African using Italian tradition & expertise
In our quest to make an authentic South African product which benefits from a long tradition of Italian expertise, Vesuvio Estates has consistently won awards at prestigious international olive oil competitions and events.
Vesuvio Olive Estate Awards
“Gran Prestige Gold”
top Award in Terra Olivo 2013
Vesuvio entered Terra Olivo Extra Virgin Olive Oil competition held on the mount of Olives, the home of Olives in Jerusalem and won one of the most coveted awards.
Once again Vesuvio assures our customers that we continue to make a world class olive oil
The World’s Best Olive Oils for 2013
Each April in New York City, a leading panel of international experts tastes more than 700 extra virgin olive oils from every corner of the globe to determine which deserve to be known as the very best olive oils in the world.
The event is the New York International Olive Oil Competition — the largest and most important olive oil contest of the year.
The winning olive oils are sought-after by chefs, food buyers and consumers everywhere who know the value of the very highest quality extra virgin olive oils.
Vesuvio entered our medium fruity Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the prestigious New York Olive Oil competition. We only started harvesting mid of March and entered even though the competition is very early in our harvesting calendar.
Winning Silver proved to our valued customers that the quality of Vesuvio Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a product to rely on.
Winning a Silver in the Medium fruity category in a competition as prestigious as the New York Olive Competition is a great honour for us.
Cape Town, Paarl – At the recent 2012 SA Olive Awards, the premium quality of one of South Africa’s largest olive oil producer’s, Vesuvio Estates was acknowledged by receiving another GOLD award. Vesuvio Extra Virgin Olive Oil won GOLD in the Medium Fruity Category. These accolades are just the latest on Vesuvio Estate’s impressive roll of local and international honours.
For South African consumers interested in top quality, locally-produced, authentic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, both national and international Olive Oil awards provide a solid guide to the best on offer. Largely due to its nutritional benefits and the widespread promotion of healthy eating, consumption of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is on the rise all over the world. Mediterranean countries such as Italy and Spain have been generally regarded as the key producers of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. However, newer olive oil makers such as South Africa and California are now well-established as top quality global producers more than able to compete with traditional European suppliers.
South Africa’s Vesuvio Estates has regularly won awards in international competitions in Jerusalem, Italy, U.S.A, etc.
- 2013 – Terra Olivo, Jerusalem – Gran Prestige Gold
- 2013 – LA County Fair, Los Angeles, USA – Bronze
- 2012 – SA Olive Awards – Gold
- 2012 – l’Orciolo d’Oro, Gradara Italia – Grand Mention
- 2011 – Terra Olivio Jerusalem Israel – Prestige Gold
- 2011 – l’Orciolo d’Oro, Gradara Italia – (Distinction) Delicate Fruity
- 2010 – SA Olive Awards
- * GOLD – Vesuvio Extra Virgin, Delicate Fruity Category
- * GOLD – Vesuvio Limited Edition, Medium Fruity Category
- 2010 – Leone d’Oro, Mastri Oleari, ONLUS, Italia – Grand Mention, Delicate Fruity
- 2010 – l’Orciolo d’Oro, Gradara Italia – Distinction in Delicate Fruity Category
- 2010 – LA County Fair, Los Angeles USA, Bronze Award, Delicate Fruity
- 2009 – Selected FLOS OLEI 2010 guide – the world’s best extra virgin olive oils
- 2008 – Selected Top 40 in the World – l’Extravergine Guide 2009
- 2008 – l’Orciolo d’Oro, Gradara Italia- Distinction in Medium Fruity Category
- 2008 – ARMONIA, Cibus, Italia – Our 2007 Golden Trophy winning oil received a special mention by the Human Health Foundation for outstanding chemical composition.
- 2008 – SA Olive Awards GOLD – Early Harvest Ltd Edition, Intense Fruity category
- 2008 – l’Orciolo d’Oro (Distinction) – Gradara, Italy
- 2007 – Armonia, Spoleto Italia – GOLDEN TROPHY
- 2007 – LA County Fair, Los Angeles USA- Silver Award
- 2007 – l’Orciolo d’Oro (Distinction) – Gradara, Italy
- 2007 – Selected Top 40 in the World – l’Extravergine Guide 2008
- 2007 – SA Olive Awards – Silver Medium Fruity Category
- 2006 – Selected Top 15 in the World – L’Extra
- 2006 – l’Orciolo d’Oro – Gradara, Italy
- Vesuvio Natural Extra Virgin – First Prize Medium Fruity Category
- Vesuvio Special Reserve – Distinction Medium Fruity Category
- 2005 – l’Orciolo d’Oro (Distinction) – Gradara, Italy
- 2004 – The Best From Southern Africa – Fresh Taste of the South, Australia
- 2004 – l’Orciolo d’Oro First Prize Light Fruity Category – Gradara, Italy
- 2003 – l’Orciolo d’Oro (Distinction) – Gradara, Italy
- 2002 – l’Orciolo d’Oro (Distinction) – Gradara, Italy
- 2001 – l’Orciolo d’Oro First Prize Medium Fruity Category – Gradara, Italy
- 2000 – l’Orciolo d’Oro (Distinction) – Gradara, Italy
- 2000 – Diploma di Gran Menzione (Distinction) – SOL 2000 Verona, Italy
- 2012 - SA Olive Awards – Olives or olive oil – Silver
- 2007 – SA Olive Awards – Black Olives Flavoured – Sliver
Vesuvio Extra Virgin Olive Oil featured in the 2009 l’Extravergine Guide to TOP 40 extra virgin olive oils in the World and the 2010 FLOS OLEI guide to the world’s best extra virgin olive oils. Nowadays, buying top quality extra virgin olive oils in South Africa no longer means having to purchase imported products that have the disadvantage of getting to the table at the cost of thousands of food miles. In addition, poor regulation of the industry leaves the consumer vulnerable to cheaper imports of dubious quality and possibly, adulterated olive oils posing as extra virgin. It makes sense to seek out a top quality local producer whose product has stood the test of international competition, and whose production processes are transparent and easy to verify.
The classification ‘extra virgin’ is an internationally accepted definition of an olive oil that is natural and unrefined, and solely produced through a cold extraction process. Extra Virgin olive oil has a free acidity value, expressed as oleic acid, of less than 0.8 grams per 100 grams, and has zero defects.
Vesuvio Extra Virgin Olive Oil is made from machine harvested and selected olives exclusively from the Vesuvio Estates. The oil is cold-extracted within 12 hours of picking to optimally moderate acidity levels and capture the perfect taste of the fruit whilst preserving the olive’s fantastic nutritional benefits. This leads to an award-winning taste with the perfect balance of fruitiness, appropriately attractive slight bitterness and optimal pungency to delight the South African palette. Vesuvio Extra Virgin Olive Oil is an authentic South African Extra Virgin Olive Oil that meets international quality standards. It is the ultimate gourmet Extra Virgin Olive Oil and everyday ally for a healthy, balanced lifestyle; endorsed by the Heart Foundation, Kosher and Halaal Certified.